Saturday, December 29, 2007
This project took a while because I had to redesign a few features. The front did not want to look the way it is now unless I recalculated the number of stitches and adjusted their sequence. I also increased a bit below the waist to accommodate for better fit.
I would not recommend this pattern for a beginner!
Yarn used is 100% silk from Sara's Yarns.
Needles size 8.
Sunday, December 23, 2007
It took about two weeks (with other projects going on) to knit one mitten. The pattern comes from "Decorative crocheting" book by Marketta Luutonen. The whole idea of decorative or tapestry crochet is amazing! The most beautiful Korsnas sweaters are made this way. I love the fact that unlike Fair Isle knitting where you have length of yarn running behind your work, tapestry crochet allows for long interruptions in color with alternate yarn neatly tucked within the row. For my next pair (I am going to design it myself) I will use some of the smaller Fair Isle designs.
Sunday, December 09, 2007
Just finished the first one, and had to post it: with all the holiday's craze I am not sure when the other one will be ready.
My inspiration was the wonderful pattern from the "Folk Knitting in Estonia" by Nancy Bush. I changed the pattern somewhat, and used different yarns: Romney wool (the natural color), Super Yak (the reddish one), and 100% camel (light brown). All yarns were heavier than required in the pattern resulting in much warmer fabric: just as I intended. I really enjoyed the pattern and the process; can't wait to finish the second mitten!
Monday, November 12, 2007
Finally finished it: it took me a while since it is my very first lace shawl. I really love the process, and especially the part when a shawl "opens up" and becomes a shawl - after washing and blocking. Pure magic!
I used silk/cashmere blend from http://www.yubina.com
a very fine and delicate yarn. Pictures can't really convey the beauty of the color.
I guess, I will be knitting another shawl soon...
Sunday, October 14, 2007
I started this cardigan in August, and of course now when it is ready the weather turned cool, and I will have to wait until spring to wear it.
The knitting was fun: I used Habu Linen Paper in red, and Tsumugi silk in color 14. This combination was a kit for a long-sleeved jacket, but I designed my own, and very please with the result. I even have some leftover yarn for a top.
Sunday, August 26, 2007
I knitted it a while ago, using Classic Elite "Attitude" (85% Pima Cotton, 15% Silk), needle size 8 US, but only published it now. The idea of the pattern came from one of the Filatura di Crosa patter booklets, but I changed the design quite a bit.
It is a very pleasant to wear top, and I really like the yarn.
Sunday, August 19, 2007
Just finished it: very unusual texture, because the yarn looks and feels more like linen. It is Habu Silk Gima (yarn A-22) in color "Linen". Here is the link to this yarn http://www.habutextiles.com/webfile/a-22.html
I thoroughly enjoyed the process; so far any Habu yarn I have used offered an unusual experience.
Thursday, August 02, 2007
My husband made me this beauty - a Cocobolo Wood Cable Needle! Cocobolo is a type of Rosewood, and it is my favorite wood for needles. Alas, I have never seen them in circulars.
This needle was made without using a lathe (a machine in which work is rotated about a horizontal axis and shaped by a fixed tool). He used just a woodworking saw, knife and sandpaper. The glossy finish was achieved by polishing it with felt.
It was magical to observe how the wood revealed its intricate grain!
Sunday, July 29, 2007
The first top was knit using Habu Paper yarn: it really feels like paper. It is a blend of linen and cotton, and has a very nice hand - a perfect top for hot summer days!
The white top was originally a summer dress pattern from Phildar magazine. I changed it into a top, and used the original Philcrochet yarn called for in this pattern.
Monday, June 25, 2007
The top was crocheted using Bouton d'Or "Mango". As always with crochet projects it was fun and did not take all that long: just in time for the hot weather.
This sweater was done in Sir Galli (pure silk) discontinued yarn; the body - garter stitch, the hem: crocheted flowers using black cotton leftover yarn.
Tuesday, June 05, 2007
Sunday, May 13, 2007
This project took me a while: of course, I was busy with a couple of others at the same time... I saw the picture of this tunic online, on one of the designer show sites (don't remember which one now), and I knew right away that I needed one. I made a pattern out of fabric, and stitched motifs to its surface. After that I connected motifs to one another with the chain stitch, and "voila"!
Thread used: DMC Cebelia cotton # 20
Crochet hook 1.25
A lot of patience
Thursday, February 22, 2007
This sweater took a little longer than a month to make. It was inspired by beautiful Vologda lace. Since I am not a lace maker, I used a crochet technique that imitates it: actually, not difficult at all!
Here are some websites where you can take a look at these techniques:
Vologda lace - http://www.artrusse.ca/lace.htm
Crochet imitation - http://www.georgiaseitz.com/2003/bruges/brugesjm.html
I designed the sweater myself using various crochet samples. The thread used is Normandy Linen in Natural.